Monday, March 3, 2008

feb - black and white month

So February ends with #365..??..obviously I have mislabeled/miscounted somewhere, probably with that month "off" that I had. I will still need 2 more photos to complete the year by dates and days.

It felt like doing black and white photos was getting back to my roots as a photographer. I spent many years only doing BW before colour in year 2 of uni. Have only really gone back to BW here and there. Truly is a different ball game when taking photos for BW, its like using a different part of your brain. Its as not as simple as colour as you have to see only tones. I feel many of my photos below have failed - #354 #346, whereas some are quite outstanding and work perfectly as BW - #353 #355. The best way to judge a BW - does the tonal range go from white right through to black. This can be manipulated using brightness and contrast in photoshop, or adjusting timing and filters with printing in darkroom, when you need to adjust nothing, you know its worked well (#353 #355).

























































1 comment:

carly preston said...

I love # 355 - Surprise surprise!!!

And the one with the spoons! I'd love to buy a copy of that one of you if you are interested?..